A Final Instructions magazine will be mailed out to all riders taking part in the 2017 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 in early July. This magazine contains all the information riders need to have a trouble-free Ride Day on Sunday 30 July.
A condensed version of the essential Final Instructions is also available to download below.
Final Instructions for Overseas Riders
Overseas riders who are taking part in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 can also download a condensed version of the essential Final Instructions below.
The Prudential RideLondon App
Riders in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 can track their time and position throughout the ride, and share the information with family and friends, by downloading the new app free of charge. Using the GPS tracking function in the new app increases the rider's position, making it even easier for friends and family to support riders on the route and meet them afterwards.
Download the app for iOS or Android via the buttons below.
Please note: You must download the new Prudential RideLondon app to track your ride. Previous editions of the app will not allow you to do so.
For more information on how to use the app, visit our app FAQs page.
The Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 riders will set off in waves from 05:45 on Sunday 30 July 2017. Riders will be notified of their start time by email at the end of June.
Withdrawing from the sportive due to illness or injury
If you secure a place in the 2017 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 but need to withdraw, you can find out more about how to do so here.
You must use a roadworthy and permitted bicycle in the sportive. See below for more details, or take a look at our summary of permitted bikes (and bikes that are not permitted) .
The following cycles are permitted in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100:
- Single-speed (both fixed and freewheel) bicycles are allowed as long as they have suitable brakes.
- Mountain bikes are allowed – although please use slick tyres to conserve energy.
- There will be 100 tandems and 50 tricycles allowed this year. Preference will be given to riders with a disability. If you are a visually impaired or disabled rider and have been accepted via the ballot, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to process your entry.
- For tandems, only one rider needs to have been successful in the ballot. Entrants with a disability will be charged – entrants where neither rider has a disability will be charged for both riders.
Cycles that are not permitted
The following cycles are not permitted in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100:
- Fixed wheel with no brakes
- Fixed wheel with only a front brake
- Any bicycle with only one brake
- Penny Farthings
- Towed trailers
- Child carriers
- Tag-a-long trailers bicycles
- Trailer bicycles
- Cargo bicycles
- Specialist time-trial bicycles are not allowed as they do not allow for immediate control of the bicycle.
- Recumbents with full fairing
- Any bicycle without 360° rider visibility
- Unconventional handlebars (including triathlon bars, aero bars, clip-ons, prayer bars, Spinaci bars and cow bars) are not allowed.
- Handlebars without bar-end plugs are not permitted.
- Electric bicycles are not permitted but are welcome to take part in the RideLondon FreeCycle on Saturday 30 July.
Love Where You Ride
At Prudential RideLondon, we are dedicated to looking after our surroundings. Find out more about our Love Where You Ride campaign, which helps to protect the environment during the world's greatest festival of cycling.
We want to ensure you have an amazing time at the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100, so we’ve teamed up with Continental Tyres – our Official Safety Partner – to give you some simple ‘rules of the road’ to follow on the big day.
As more than 25,000 riders are expected to participate in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100, it is necessary for us to restrict or prohibit various types of pedal bicycles and equipment for reasons of safety. It is our responsibility to manage the risks involved on the event day with the density of riders we are placing on the closed roads of the route. Our goal is to create a world-class, sustainable event that is safe and inclusive and we are still in the early phases of the development of this unique event.
We are sorry to disappoint certain groups of riders with the prohibition of certain equipment and exclusion of certain bicycle types. This is not a reflection on anyone’s personal ability, speed ability or skill level on a pedal cycle or with certain equipment. The decision is taken after a detailed review of the overall risks associated from a participant using such items or equipment to the large numbers of cyclists, who themselves have a very wide variation of skill level, participating in the event. The consequences for safety, accident rates and ultimately the time taken to complete the ride must be considered. We continually review our policies on permitted bicycles and equipment.
If you’re travelling to Prudential RideLondon by rail with a bike, use National Rail’s PlusBike info to help you plan with ease. Visit nationalrail.co.uk/PlusBike to find out more.
Hire a bike
Why not hire a bike for the 2017 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 and take the stress out of transporting your bike down to the event? British Bike Hire are the official bike hire partner for the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 and have a wide variety of bicycles on offer for this year’s sportive.
You can reserve a bicycle online in minutes with our simple ordering system and collect the bike in advance of the event from Friday 28 July through to the afternoon of Saturday 29 July at the Prudential RideLondon Cycling Show at ExCeL in east London.
Then once you’ve finished the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100, simply hand your bike back to our team, who will be ready to greet you near the finish at Green Park. We also offer longer term hire, which is popular with overseas riders, and a limited delivery service to London hotels.
To find out more or to hire a bike, visit British Bike Hire now.
You can find accommodation in London over Prudential RideLondon weekend here.
If you have a specific question or issue, check out our FAQs.