Slower Cyclists at the Back of the Field
At three points along the route, cyclists travelling slower than the eight-and-a-half-hour time limit will be directed along diversions, which will shorten the distance; this is because, based on the time you reach a certain point, you would not make it back to The Mall in central London along the full route before the last finish time without being withdrawn from the event at a cut-off point.
These three diversions are as follows:
- Hampton Court Bridge to Scilly Isles (avoids most of the route in Surrey)
- Diversion length: 1.7 miles
- Route: Hampton Court Way
- Diversion becomes optional from 10:20
- Diversion mandatory at 10:50
- Finish distance reduced to 46 miles
- Abinger Hammer to Wotton (avoids the climb of Leith Hill)
- Diversion length: 1.5 miles
- Route: A25 Guildford Road
- Diversion becomes optional from 11:00
- Diversion mandatory at 13:15
- Finish distance reduced to 92 miles
- Westhumble to Givons Grove Roundabout (along the cycle path, avoiding the climb of Box Hill)
- Diversion length: 2.5 miles
- Route: A24 Dorking Road
- Diversion becomes optional from 12:00
- Diversion mandatory at 14:40
- Finish distance reduced to 94 miles
Please note: Irrespective of your start time you must cross Hampton Court Bridge (mile 27) by 10:50 to avoid being required to take Diversion one. This equates to an average speed of 14mph if your start time is 09:00 from QEOP.
Diversions Two and Three
If you take both diversions two and three, the finish distance will be reduced to 86 miles.
Although we would like as many participants as possible to be able to get back to The Mall under their own steam, to ensure that participants are not caught by the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic professional race in the late afternoon, five cut-off points will be in operation at the following locations and at the following times:
- Mile 26: Hampton Court Palace – 11:00
- Mile 48: Newlands Corner – 13:00
- Mile 64: Dorking – 14:30
- Mile 75: Leatherhead – 15:35
- Mile 81: Sandown Park – 16:05
- Mile 91: Wimbledon Common – 16:50
- Mile 100: The Mall – all riders must finish by 17:30
If you do not reach the cut-off point(s) before the above times, you will be withdrawn from the event. Each cut-off point will have vehicles waiting to transport any participants who withdraw from the event back to The Mall, or the nearest railway station, with their bicycle. You could also consider taking public transport back to central London as this is likely to be the quickest way back.
You will need to ensure that you report your rider number and name to a steward or marshal so that you are accounted for. Event riders on the route after the above timings will not be allowed to proceed and will be withdrawn from the event. The rear of the event is defined by a team of six official riders and a ‘sweep’ team.
A sweep system will be in place to collect any riders who cannot continue due to either fatigue, mechanical failure, or who fall behind the eight-and-a-half-hour time limit. Vehicles will be travelling the route to collect participants where required and will operate more regularly at the tail end of the event.
To ensure that the route is clear prior to the arrival of the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic, a final vehicle will be present at the tail end of the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100.
IMPORTANT: If you withdraw from the event it is vital that you give your name and rider number to a steward or marshal so that you can be accounted for.